Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful because it’s the one day that you have been waiting for all your life and you want it to be perfect! However, you do not need to go through a load of wedding planning alone. Having an ally or confidant by your side will help you go through these nerve-racking times. As the bride, you need to look pretty and enjoy your wedding day. Delegate your responsibilities to the matron of honor, who can be a close friend or family member, and relax. Handling the bridesmaids, telling them what to do, and getting other wedding preparations underway are all part of the matron of honor duties. A matron of honor is truly a person of honor because she removes the burden from the bride’s shoulders.
Duties of the Matron of Honor
The matron of honor is somebody who will not only help you with preparations for the wedding but is somebody who will stand by you for every little or major need on the wedding day. Let’s have a look at the different matron of honor responsibilities before and on the wedding day.
Pre-Wedding Matron of Honor Duties
- Helps the bride and groom with decisions regarding the wedding theme, wedding location, reception site, and even stay for guests from afar.
- She helps the bride find an appropriate wedding decorator, helps find a wedding cake baker, and also assists in selecting the best designs for the reception site, cake, etc.
- Helps the bride pick designs for the wedding invitations and get them printed. Moreover, helps the bride organize her guest list and address the invitations to all the guests on them.
- She helps the bride prepare the bride’s wedding day emergency kit.
- Helps the bride with the wedding gown preparations. If the bride is getting a ready-made gown, she helps the bride shop for it, or she goes with her to buy the gown material and accompanies her to the designer. Also helps the bride with the purchase of other bridal accessories.
- The matron of honor also helps the bride pick the bridesmaid’s and flower girl’s dresses. Moreover, she coordinates with the bridesmaids and informs them about the days for fitting, etc.
- She helps the bride with the wedding favor arrangements and gives her valuable advice in this matter as well. She also helps pick gifts for the bridesmaids.
- Plans the bridal shower.
- Organizes the wedding rehearsal and dinner rehearsal and ensures everybody involved attends it.
During The Wedding
- The matron of honor ensures the bride reaches the parlor, gets ready and reaches the church on time. She also ensures the bridesmaids are ready on time and know their duties well.
- During the wedding ceremony, she holds the wedding bouquet of the bride.
- She oversees the wedding arrangements at the reception site and ensures everything is in order.
- Gives the matron of honor speech on the wedding day and may also offer a toast to the bride and groom.
- Keeps track of the gifts received at the wedding reception and stores them properly.
After The Wedding
- She ensures all the gifts are assembled and sent away to the required location by car or any other means of transport.
- Helps the bride change into her going-away outfit and stores the bridal gown and other accessories neatly and safely.
There are no hard and fast rules about the matron of honor duties. The above list may seem intimidating to some; however, these were general guidelines concerning the role of a matron of honor. The bride may delegate some responsibilities to other people. The matron of honor responsibilities varies from one bride to another. Just remember, being the matron of honor is a privilege!