A wedding ceremony is not just about saying ” I do” and exchanging rings. It is not that simple. A lot of hard work goes behind the scenes to make the day a huge success and memorable for the bride and the groom. The venue has to be arranged, the tuxedos for the groomsmen have to be booked, the venue has to be decorated, the food has to be organized, the guest have to be invited, etc, etc, etc. Only then can a wedding be properly carried out. So, who are these people who toil for months to make the day a success for the couple? They are the best man and the maid of honor. Its a tough job being either of them but a great honor too. Here, we’ll just talk about the best man duties and responsibilities. So, if you have been appointed as the best man to your friend’s wedding, this one’s for you. You are the one who has to make the day memorable and enjoyable!
Duties and Responsibilities of a Best Man
As the best man of the groom, you should have a best man duties checklist, where you list all the items that need to be looked after and all the duties you have to carry out. You can follow the best man duties list given below and understand the best man’s responsibilities.
- Months before the wedding, you, as the best man, need to look into matters like, getting hold of well-fitting tuxedos from the rental for the groom and the groomsmen.
- You should know what are the duties of a groom, so that you can help him out when needed.
- You have to arrange for the groom’s bachelor/stag party.
- Your best friend, the groom, might start getting nervous about his wedding months before the actual day. You should be able to calm him down. This is a major step in his life, so, one of your many best man duties is, to be there for your friend all the time.
- Few weeks before the wedding, start preparing your speech which you are supposed to deliver on the day of the wedding. Keep it short, but interesting.
- Few days before the important event, make sure that all the tuxes are ready; the groom’s, the grooms men’s and yours. Don’t keep anything pending till the last minute.
- Do make it a point to attend the wedding rehearsal. Also, see to it that the others, i.e. the volunteers, groomsmen, etc. also attend it. This is where you will realize, where you are going wrong, or where things may go wrong.
- Organize the wedding transportation, which will take the newlyweds and the family to the hotel, airport or station. Keep a plan B at hand, in case the cars don’t reach on time, you will need a backup.
- Arrange for a photographer and see to it that he captures all the important events.
- Finally, it’s the day when your best friend starts a new journey. Help him. See to it that he gets into his tuxedo properly and that he looks great. It’s his day after all. The best man duties at wedding are crucial. You should deal things with a cool head.
- The groom should reach the wedding venue at least half an hour before the main event.
- Keep the weddings rings with you, and be careful that you don’t lose them.
- The groomsmen should be ready. You have to ensure that the groomsmen duties are carried out well.
- Keep things like comb, towel, etc. handy. You or the groom or one of the groomsmen might need it.
- Make sure that all the gifts the newlyweds receive are loaded and transported wherever decided.
- Be a gracious host and ensure all the guests feel at ease and everyone enjoys the wedding.
- Last, but not the least, always keep a smile on your face. That does wonders in any situation.
Best Man Speeches
As the best man, you will be expected to raise a toast i.e. give the wedding speech meant for the bride and groom. Writing and giving a speech is a tough job, since not only do you have to read it in front of a lot of people, but you also have to get everybody’s attention. Here are some tips for you to prepare the best speeches.
- First, keep in mind the personality of the groom. If the groom has a great sense of humor, don’t prepare a serious speech and vice versa.
- Keep the speech short but, long enough so that it shows that you have given a thought to it.
- The opening of the speech sets the tone for the rest of the speech. Don’t make the mistake of starting off with a joke, thinking that it will be funny. Save them for later.
- In short, start off with a simple and respectful sentence, move onto the humorous part, and then conclude on a sentimental and congratulatory note.
Now you have enough information about the best man duties, speeches and responsibilities. Follow them and you will make the wedding memorable for your best buddy.